Here in Utah, winter is in full force, and what’s better to come home to after a long day of skiing or snowboarding than a cup of the richest hot chocolate you’ve ever had. Mercedes crafted this recipe by hand over several cold, winter months and perfected the perfect cup of hot chocolate. This hot chocolate recipe has a base of milk and is topped with rich, homemade whipped cream, giving an even milkier flavor to this hot chocolate! Finally, garnish it with chocolate chips, caramel sauce, and chocolate syrup. I’ll be honest, the first time she made this for me, it felt like a whole meal!
This recipe is made on the stove top, perfect for a whole group of people! The stovetop recipe is rich and sweet, and seriously fills you up. There is another version made using the microwave that can serve just one person. The ingredients are the same, and the microwave process is a little less time consuming, but the end result for each method totally worth it. Give them both a shot!
Ingredients for Stove
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups milk
Directions for Stove Top Hot Chocolate (Serves 2-3)
- Combine granulated sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and water into medium sized pot and bring to a boil while stirring. Be sure to stir constantly, or the chocolate chips will burn!
- Add milk and reduce heat to medium. Heat for 45 seconds to a minute on a gas grill, or 2-3 minutes on an electric or coil stove, or until warm.
- Pour into cups and enjoy!
- If desired, add whipped cream, chocolate chips, caramel sauce, or chocolate syrup!
Ingredients for Microwave
- 1 rounded tsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 cup milk
Directions for Microwave Hot Chocolate (Serves 1)
- Combine granulated sugar, cocoa powder, chocolate chips, and water into mug or glass, and microwave for 30 seconds
- Stir mixture to ensure chocolate chips are melted
- Add milk to mug or glass, and microwave for 1 minute, or until hot. Take out and stir!
- If desired, add whipped cream, chocolate chips, caramel sauce, or chocolate syrup and enjoy!
If you tried either version of this recipe, let me know! I would love to know what you thought of it, so leave a comment! It certainly is delicious and rich – perfect for a cozy evening in front of the fireplace.
See this delicious chocolate chip cookie recipe below, and I’ll see you on the next one!